Friday, November 6, 2009
The little black shift; A Cynthia Rowley pattern Mash-Up
~I recently needed a bridesmaids dress. The the only requirements were it be above the knee and all black.
So I decided I would try to make my own but only if I could do it from stash fabric. I had stocked up on patterns from Cynthia Rowley for simplicity during a recent sale, so I decided to try a few them out.
...I ended up combining these two simplicity patterns:
Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 2593
...and Cynthia Rowley Simplicity2586
~I really loved the rolled top piece on the shirt from Simplicity 2593 ( it is super simple to make this roll and might be easily adapted to a number of designs)
... and I like the idea of a belted shift for this dress. I noticed that the tops of both patterns were the same basic construction so I lifted the roll from 2593 and added it to the the shift of Simplicity 2586.
~I decide to add the ruffle along the bottom from the long sleeved belted version
~I also finished my sleeves with FOE because when I made a practice shirt I thought the sleeves, finished as the pattern called for, were too constricting.
~I decided to change the belt design completely. I designed a belt using scraps
...and then four snaps as closure
...with decorative mix matched vintage buttons on top.
I was very pleased with the finished dress...I thought it was perfect for the occasion and easy to wear.