Friday, November 6, 2009

The little black shift; A Cynthia Rowley pattern Mash-Up


~I recently needed a bridesmaids dress. The the only requirements were it be above the knee and all black.
So I decided I would try to make my own but only if I could do it from stash fabric. I had stocked up on patterns from Cynthia Rowley for simplicity during a recent sale, so I decided to try a few them out.

...I ended up combining these two simplicity patterns:
Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 2593
...and Cynthia Rowley Simplicity2586


~I really loved the rolled top piece on the shirt from Simplicity 2593 ( it is super simple to make this roll and might be easily adapted to a number of designs)
... and I like the idea of a belted shift for this dress. I noticed that the tops of both patterns were the same basic construction so I lifted the roll from 2593 and added it to the the shift of Simplicity 2586.

~I decide to add the ruffle along the bottom from the long sleeved belted version
~I also finished my sleeves with FOE because when I made a practice shirt I thought the sleeves, finished as the pattern called for, were too constricting.

~I decided to change the belt design completely. I designed a belt using scraps
...and then four snaps as closure
...with decorative mix matched vintage buttons on top.
I was very pleased with the finished dress...I thought it was perfect for the occasion and easy to wear.

12 comments:

Sudie said...

Really cute, chick! LOL about Glee reference. :b

Angie said...

Love this!!!! It looks so beautiful!!!!

alittlebitofscrap said...

It is gorgeous!

Shorty said...

Great job! Looks amazing!

two vegan boys said...

Very pretty. I may have to check out that pattern for a Christmas party dress. You are so talented.

Tamonster said...

wow! that is incredibly adorable!!!! bravo!

Lo Christine said...

love this!

Blue Mama said...

LOVE it!! I so needed this for my brother's wedding...I wasn't stoked on my outfit....xo

Alex said...

Wow, that's really cute! I love the rolled neckline thing too, especially in that fabric. We still need to hang out again!

EdaMommy said...

Cute as all get out!

Harmony said...

you are so talented. I wish I had your talent for design.

Sandra said...

Oh my goodness, just stumbled on your blog. Love the dress. Coincidentally I combined the same two patterns and came up with this: http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/birthday-dress--4