Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fabric and Button Barrette tutorial


~These barrettes are fun and easy to make. They are great for using little bits of fabric especially your stashed vintage treasures. They also show case special buttons and are a great use for those buttons that have no matches. I sometimes make matching pairs but I really like making coordinates that are each a little different but still look good worn together.
*********Level of Difficulty: super duper easy***********


Supplies you will need:

* Ironed Fabric scraps (at least 1” x3”~ ish)

*Cute flat (sew through) buttons
*Non- painted Barrettes (I use binding or hem clips They are cheaper and bare metal) The glue has a hard time grabbing the painted barrette; if you only have painted ones use a metal file to scuff up the paint and it helps the glue grab

*No fray spray (This is not totally necessary but I found it to increase the life of my barrettes) *Hot glue gun (yay) and sticks
* Pliers or tweezers (just to help keep glue off you)
*Scissors( small detail ones work best)


Instructions

1. Pick out and Iron fabrics, I usually work on several pair at once picking out fabrics and buttons before I start gluing. Then I work in like an assembly line fashion. Gluing all the fabric on then cutting all at once etc…




2.Cut scrap fabric in rectangles just larger than the barrettes



3.Open barrette and slide pliers into back of barrette
To hold while gluing





4.Glue generously on barrette top



5.Position fabric as you want on top of glue


Press evenly as the glue cools with medium firmness



6.Allow to cool completely

7.Trim around barrette taking care to leave a slight edge (>1/16”) to allow for any needed fabric expansion when you close the barrette

8. Spray entire fabric side of barrette with no fray spray. Allow them dry completely



9. Use hot glue on the back of the button and position in place on barrettes while open press slowly and evenly. Then leave to cool on open barrettes



10. Sport your cute new hair accessories




* check out the amendments to this tutorial

24 comments:

Blue Mama said...

Good job on the tutorial, everything looks great!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, I totally LOVE it!
How wonderfully easy! Thanks so much for sharing.

julia said...

i was just about to attempt these on my own... and now i know how! thanks honey! come home soon, we miss you...

Blue Mama said...

Your tutorial is the #3 most popular (out of 20) for this week!!!! You go, mama!!!!!

So happy you're coming home tomorrow. Let's hang out Tues or Wed, whenever you're all settled in!

becks said...

great tut lady! perfect for the scrapy scraps! thanks!

amy is the party said...

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog and I see that you've got a great tutorial here yourself!

Anonymous said...

cute, cute, cute.
i love your tutorial.
you did good!

SecondChanceChicken said...

love these and I need a new craft for tweens and they could easily do this and add their own flair to it. I'm going to stick to non fray fabric like jersey or cotton knit so the fray spray wont be needed

Anonymous said...

Very cute idea! I wonder if Mod Podge would work?

Anonymous said...

Geat!!!!
Love it

Subvertia said...

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for stuff to do with my little scraps.
Thanks!

Snippety Gibbet said...

Thanks for the post. I spend a fortune on hair clips that look cute. I'd rather make my own.

DeerDominique said...

They are so great and cute, but can we talk about your sunglasses?

L-O-V-E them, oh so very much.

Marissa said...

I came across your blog after you wre featured on Craftzine's blog and let me say I LoooooooooVE your stuff!

I went out to get supplies to make these barrettes right away and had success . . . but what can I do to keep them from coming unglued after one or two uses? (I used the same clips you did, and the glue just doesn't like staying put after a few openings and closings.) Or did I just do something wrong?...

Marissa said...

Thanks so much for your great comment! Good tips there, and thanks for taking the time to write 'em -- as you can see I only just started my blog, so I get pretty psyched when someone's paying attention. ;-) And I know you're a busy lady, so it means a lot.

I will certainly keep those pointers in mind and look forward to more barrette posts from Belle and Burger! Yay!

Cynthia said...

Awesome! Thanks for that tutorial. My budding craft queen 8 year old daughter and I will be making them for her friends for Christmas.

Especially thanks for the binding clips tip. I'll bet they are way cheaper than the store bought barrettes.

Welcome to fort & field!... said...

I just ran across your blog looking for some cute new hair ideas. I love this tutorial and your blog. I'm off to bookmark you now...

Sarah said...

I love these so much! Just wanted to let you know that I've posted a link to this tutorial on my blog. Thanks for sharing it with us!

-Sarah from Create Studio
www.createstudio.blogspot.com

Shorty said...

I just found your site through Pimp Stitch...actually the valentine heart pillows, but I was searching thru your other posts, too. Love your blog and your ideas!!! Can't wait to see more of your creations!

Anonymous said...

hi.. where can i buy the no fray spray..? can u recommend me the website where can i purchase online..?

belle said...

I think I got mine at hancocks(in store) but I se they have it online. The no fray is optional.

moe said...

THanks for the idea! I made 2 cute matching ones for DD and they came out SO cute! Cant wait to make more!

make handmade said...

So cute! thanks for sharing.