Monday, April 4, 2011

we love scientific experiences


~Burger has been very into what he calls doing scientific "experiences"(love it)
I will share a few of our latest experiences

~Daddy and burger made rock candy and fizzy drinks following a tasty science kit. The rock candy was quite a test of burger's patience since it took a good 2 weeks to grow the crystal candies. I must say despite some complaining in the beginning he did quite well. In the end I think he learned how to save things for later....something very new to us. He actually still has 2 strings left .
~Late last week burger and I made salt volcanoes(very fun and simple) that we got from this book the science explorer ;out and about
here is what we did

ingredients
a glass jar

vegetable
oil

salt
water
food coloring

process
1. pour 3 " of h2o in jar
2.pour about 1/3 c of oil in jar. when everything settles, is oil on top of the water or underneath
3. add one drop of food coloring. what happens?Is the drop in the oil or in water? does the color spread?
4.shake salt on top of the oil while you slowly count to five, What happens to the food coloring? what happens to the salt?
5.add more salt to keep the action going as long as you want
~Golden Exploring Earth Book - Nature Hikes 1973 is another book we have been into.I Picked it up a while back but we pulled it out in January and started talking a lot about hiking and looking for things when you are on a hike. Both Kg and I have taken Burger(separately)on a hike to one of favorite pre-burger swimming hole/hiking spots. Burger likes to make a mental list of what he is looking for before we go. After our last hike he came home and made up this scientific experience which I think is just swell! He asked me for a plastic bag' then went out in the yard for a bit. When he came to me with is bag full of goodies he said " all I need now is an ant and I will have made our yard in here"A few days later he asked for another bag, then came to me and said I need a little tiny snake for my desert

yes that is a tiny tumble weed....I love that scientific experience

We have also been working on our spring garden. Burger has been helping me plant seeds and tend our gardens over the last 3 years . He actually is very good with gardening; he is gentle and thoughtful. We have just a few things going right now but hope to have more if the hot Texas summer will let us!
Here are our sweet greens that we planted at the end of February ...hulk sits in the garden the way he has every year since burger has started gardening with me. I like to think of him as our thinker statue
We also germinated morning glory seeds which burger thought was very cool.....

I am loving all this interest in how things work and in creating new things! Four is definitely a wondrous year...

2 comments:

Alexis said...

This is too cute. One of my little brothers is also very into "science experiments." I found your blog while searching for instructions on making your own underwear, so thank you for that tutorial. You're a great inspiration!

Mięta said...

My daughter is 5 years old, but it just dances and pink dresses are interested in it now ha ha. The brave boy was not afraid of the snake :-) I'd be scared: -0

sorry for the language if something bad is online translator