Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A sweet apron for a country gal!

~I had the enormous pleasure of working on this custom apron the last few weeks, the following is from the accompanying note...
"This apron was made especially for you, by belle and burger, in Austin Texas. Mia, contacted me and said she wanted to order one of my aprons for "a dear friend who is retiring ( although only 44) from years as a wonderful teacher. She would like to come home and be a full time home maker". She told be your favorite color was yellow. She also said" She is feisty, fun, sweet and country at heart" when I asked her your size she said you were small, "But she is a mighty little thing".
I to, am country at heart and pretty much all over, so I decided to go with my heart and make an apron I would absolutely love. I knew I had some very special hoarded away scraps that had just been waiting to be a part of your apron!
Mia and I decided the chic would be a perfect country touch and I asked about adding the apple as part of the design, because I recently had another apron order for teachers (4 of them!) and I made apple name tags to symbolize knowledge. I put a little worm in it to symbolize your retirement achievement! The skirt panel is made from a beautiful vintage linen cloth. When I saw this fabric, all I could think of was you in your kitchen channeling it's simple, country charm. I was able to rescue the stained vintage linen kerchief on the pocket, by trimming it a bit and embroidering the names of those who present you this apron. The 6 buttons across the top also are there to remind you of these folks who hold your dearly.

There is a small amount of blue and green gingham that has apples machine embroidered on it used in the ties and neck strap. I have had this tiny piece of fabric for at least 5 years and am so proud to pass it to you.
Best wishes on your passage to your new life and I am sure many wonderful home memories will be made in this apron."

7 comments:

Angela Brian said...

your blog is a gem.

i am so glad i found you.

-ang

greensubmarinediydesign.blogspot.com

Deb said...

So beautiful! I bet the recipient will be over the moon for that apron! I love how much thought you put into all the details on your aprons. Lovely!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful piece of stichery! The person who receives will be thrilled. I really enjoyed my visit to your blog and will be back again to see what else you have been working on. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm just jumping back in to tell you how thrilled I was that you came to visit. Hugs and blessings...Mary

Susan said...

Hi Belle, I just received my apron today - and I LOVE IT! I have the sweetest, kindest, most thoughtful friends in the whole world - and they are my co-workers!

Thank you for all the love and care and thought that went into every stitch and every piece of fabric. I cried reading your blog. Life is like this; experiences and adventures of every shape and color that come together in the most magnificent piece!

Thank you again Belle, and thank you to my precious friends. Now they expect me to go home and do my 'homemaking stuff' and make something for them, but I don't want to get anything on my apron!!!!

Blessings, Susan

belle said...

susan I usually write more directly to folks but I need to track down your email! I am thrilled to hear from you thanks... for coming over and posting a response it is just so special to me. Your response really makes me feel like we made a complete circle!!

Anonymous said...

As you can see...... Susan loved the apron. What a joy it was to work with you to bring to into being!! Blessings upon Blessings

Mia