Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My daddy's favorite christmas cookie



I have been making these cookies for at least four years straight as my regular "gift" cookie and I ain't got no complaints yet! The men love them..they actually start asking about them around this time of year.
They are also a great cookie to send in the mail because they will stay yummy well over a week and a half( I have never had a batch last longer then that). My daddy just loved them!
I make my batter ahead of time and store the whole bowl in the freezer then bake them off s I need. I think they bake off better even right out of the freezer(just thawed enough to scoop out the dough. I use heaping tablespoon for each cookie and cook them on the light side for a chewier cookie but with all the coconut in them they really are chewy even if you burn them(which I have done) A few times this summer omitted the chocolate chips and nuts and I added raisins. Burger loved them(he doesn't really dig chocolate). So this year I will do at least a third with raisins I thought of adding some peanut butter to part of the batch as well I have not made mine yet ...probably another week or two then I will start. My mom sent me a bunch of good looking cookie recipes so I will share some of those as well. Happy cookie making!


Cowboy cookies

This makes 3 dozen large or 6 dozen small

3 c flour
*1tsp baking powder
*1 tsp baking soda
*1tsp cinnamon
*1tsp salt
*1 1/2 c room temp butter
*2c +1tbsp sugar
*2c light brown sugar packed
*3 eggs
*1 tsp vanilla
*2 1/4 c semisweet choc chips
*3 c old-fashioned oats
*2 c sweetened flake coconut
*2 c pecans chopped

Preheat oven 350
~Mix flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt
~Beat butter on medium till smooth and creamy (about 1 min)
~Gradually add sugar. Add eggs one at a time beat after each then add vanilla
~Stir the flour mixture into butter, just combined. Add chips, oats, coconut and nuts

On ungreased cookie sheets
For really big cookies use 1/4 c of dough
3 in apart cook for 20-30 min
Until edges are lightly browned; turn sheets halfway through.
For a smaller cookie (I prefer maybe a little smaller even) 2 tbsp dough bake 15-18 minutes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a precious cookbook!

great cookie's, too.

how blessed we are to have sweet memories of our loved ones who have passed on.

(((((((((((((((((((Belle)))))))))))))))))