Sunday, May 31, 2009

new shirt...Simplicity 3692


~I cut this fabric for this pattern, from the built by you series from Wendy Mullin ,
Simplicity 3692, over a year ago and just now decided to put it together.... I am not so into the fabric choices now but I like the eyelet trim and the mismatched white buttons I came up with when I went to make it early Saturday morning(3Am insomnia)

~It is a fun, versatile pattern and helps you practice some good fundamental sewing techniques. Wendy gives great tips for sewing with knits( even more so in her book The Home Stretch ) and can help you overcome the fear of knits(if you succumb). The shirt is a great first knit project because the fit is forgiving. I had completely forgotten until this post that I made the 3/4 sleeve look when I first got the pattern almost 3 years ago(I gave it to a friend, sorry no photo). That was my first patterned (not my own) knit project and though it looked lovely it was at least one size to large( I soon realized patterns run a little large for me)... and looked quite lovely on my gal, Houston.
~ I am contemplating the shift look but I think I will opt for sleeveless( Texas heat) and maybe woven cotton instead of knit. I have seen the shirt in woven and I think it turned out very nice.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I think this is super cute!

Blue Mama said...

LOVE it!

Candance said...

OMG, that is super precious and looks way comfy!! LOVE IT!

alittlebitofscrap said...

You did a great job and I too am a fan of the mix-match buttons. It looks adorable!