Monday, October 18, 2010

crafty ghoulash...


~October is sort of like December 'round here. Halloween is definitely the favorite family holiday and we have two birthdays this month to boot! Along with the change from summer to fall( and we are having a fall this year!)this all makes September and October monstrous for me. I actually had an interesting conversation about this with my yoga mentor a few weeks back. She says ( a little more eloquently)that everyone experiences a bit of anxiety going through this seasonal change. She says we are moving from a time of fire into a time dominated by air and that calming your heat can help you through the change ( and to help not get all flared up). So that has been my focus. Trying to control and flush out some of my heat ( excitement and overflowing of ideas) and smoothly transition in to air( getting some of those ideas done and letting go of the rest)
SO to help me with my transition I thought I would take a moment to check in and see where I am and share...


~I made this simple apron set for a favorite couple who were recently wed. ...I mentioned I made this dress for their celebration but did not show their gift set yet. I also made a set of hand dyed pale yellow linen napkins using a repurposed linen table cloth. Included with the kitchen set was copy of this favorite new bake book of mine. Here it is all wrapped up. I really like giving napkins with aprons.( early Christmas ideas)

~I also made this inspiring custom apron for a very special friend. Her request was for an owl and we loosely decided on a palette. Her napkin set will include a mix of the fabrics used in her apron design. Other than that she let me run free. It looks so lovely on her and was so fun to make.
~Also I had my first A-line skirt class in which my friend wore her lovely apron and made her first skirt! Blue mama also joined in the fun and made the cutest little fall skirt that I am eager to see and show off finished! Both ladies learned how to wind a bobbin in the beginning of class and ended with a skirt they had made themselves! (oops...This class accidentally fell on the Holy musical weekend of ACL ...so needless to say it will be a repeater...)

~And more stuff
Here is a new pattern I have been working on for a skirt made from a sheet. I have worn this one the last 3 date nights and made it look different each time( although I have not remembered to take photos). I still have not even hemmed it; totally into the grunge look of the unfinished hem!?...you could say I am loving it.
It is cut on the bias to give a lovely full flow and the waist obi is made from the top band of the sheet . I have a few kinks to work out but I am hoping to offer it up as a tutorial by Christmas.It is crazy simple and so comfy to wear plus it is such a flattering versatile cut.
I made this custom humming bird skirt from the pattern minus the obi belt, and plus the extra band on the length I love the colors we chose for this one.
...and this little hummer is steadying herself just like me.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Love that owl! And love the tree roots!

Jennifer said...

Hey there!!! It's been so long since I've checked in due to no reason other than our lives have been insane these past few years. I hope you are well. I absolutely ADORE that owl apron. You are up to tons of cool stuff - yay! Hope all is well. Take care. jennifer :)

Melly said...

I've been scouring your website for the tutorial of that wonderful and flattering skirt you made from the sheets. I dont think you've posted it yet, so, would you!? I'd love to make myself one :)

Thanks!!