Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bertie's Pickled Okra recipe


~I have been wanting to make okra pickles all season and my plants are finally producing enough to get a good batch. I looked at a lot of recipes but Kg's mom makes the best; they are simple and yummy. When I was ready I got Ma Me to give me her okra pickle recipe. She told me it was Bertie's recipe. Bertie is Burger's Great, Great grandmother; that just made my day. The first batch I actually made with a combination of vegetables because I had not yielded quite enough okra for the recipe. I used cauliflower, carrots, pearl onions, and celery. Those jars are almost all gone now. I also added the onions to Bertie's original recipe below. Onions are hit around here and I like to play to the crowd. Ma Me says you can eat then as soon as they look done. We cracked our first jar about 2 weeks after I made them. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.



ingredients

4 pint jars
8-12 garlic cloves
8 serrano peppers

1 sm onion sliced in ringsor 12-16 pearl onions(optional)

mess O' Okra( approx 2 lbs)
4c white vinegar
2c H2O
1/3c salt

process
Load 4 pint size jars. Each with 2-3 garlics and 2 serrano and stuff with okra.
Boil vinegar water and salt. As soon as it is rolling hard you can pour it in the jars. Seal immediately. I was told Bertie did not process them further; the heat from the liquid helps seal the jars. They never last too long
'round here anyway.

2 comments:

Tamonster said...

what do you do with picked okra? do you just eat them like pickles?

belle said...

yes ~you sure do! just like a pickle except yummier