Monday, September 13, 2010

my sweet peach muffin top


~I have mentioned already that I recently checked out Martha's Baking handbook from our lovely new library. It is really a great book to learn from cause Martha really sweats the details and I am learning that baking is really about the details. I made the Plum Coffee Cake muffins last week and they were a huge hit. This weekend Mame gave us a mess of peaches and I decided that making these peachy muffins instead of plum might bring down the house 'round here. So here is the recipe I adapted from Martha's. I just changed a few tid bits. First I used butter milk for the milk portion. I used peaches instead of plums and I peeled them. I also made the recipe as a dozen instead of 10.


Sweet Peach Muffins

1 plug of unsalted butter+ enough for the pan( or you can line it)
3/4c sugar +2tb
3/4tsp cinnmon
2 c of all-purpose flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
pinch of nutmeg
2 eggs room temp
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c butter milk


Preheat the oven to 375oF.

Prepare your cups of a muffin pan with butter or use liners. I really like liners with these cause the fruit gets all gooey (and yummy). Make sure if you use liners to still butter or spray the top of the pan in between the muffins cause these babies make lovely muffin tops.

In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.

In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, 3/4c sugar, 1/2tsp cinnamon and nutmeg.

In another bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and butter milk. Whisk in the butter. Fold the wet mixture into the flour mixture just until blended.

Put a small scoop of batter in each tin ( Martha says half but tried the second batch with slightly leas than half for each and liked that better). Spoon your peaches evenly into the tins use it all! Then dollop the rest of the batter on to they are full and it is perfect.

Sprinkle the muffins with the all of the sugar-cinnamon mixture. It seems like a lot but it makes the tops super fantastic. and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool the muffins in the pan for about 10 minutes then remove them and place on a wire rack. or you can just pull them out and burn your tongue as you enjoy them straight out of the oven ...like me.


~I cannot get this song outta my head today.....I am gonna leave you with it, for your head



* sorry it is a photo montage instead of the real clip. It seems NBC will not allow for the real clip

1 comment:

Brooke Ann Dove said...

Oh, yum. I bought some peaches from a roadside stand this weekend. Maybe I'll make muffins.