Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fabric, family, and food



~I wanted to share a few new custom pieces. Recently I have been in bag mode; kicking it off with the humming bird tote I shared a few weeks back. I had someone ask me to make one similar which I believe came out just swell. The fabric behind the bird and the wings is from a dress that is supposed date back to the very late 1800's. It is pretty much in shreads but really incredible. I really live for those kind of details. This was my second image of a humming bird and I must say I love working with it. I love that the silhouette of the bird is balanced with a flower that i can really have fun layering and abstraction the flower design. I am planning a few of these as framed pieces, maybe even a small book.

I had been mentally designing another bag when a lovely college freshmen asked if I might make her a school bag. This bag design is sort of a hobo /messenger. I have made 2 sizes and I really loved the way it turned out. I used very stiff interface just on the side and bottom panels and softer facing on the rest. I think it gives it the perfect slouch. First I made a smaller one . It is more like a large purse or day bag.
The larger pattern I drafted from the smaller by just adding a few inches. It has a tie closure and can be worn across the chest or over the shoulder. This design lends very well to a bag of patched together fabrics. Also it is perfect for applique's

Dresses have also been in my brain even though I have yet to do anything but read the intro and drool over all the designs in this book. I have been tweaking the design from a dress I made earlier in the spring. I have made 2 and a half new variations on the design and am thrilled with the progression. The first one has all reclaimed and vintage fabrics. The bodice is knit and the rest woven. I replaced the woven fabric straps with fold over elastic(very comfy). The skirt is a table cloth with silk screened flowers,lalalallove it!( it needs to be visited my Mr iron in this photo) The second was a custom order. The skirt panels are made from a sheet that sang to me at the thrift. I really wanted to keep but ..she is the one with the brown and pink boots to match it.This dress also has FOE as straps they really are perfect as straps
...On a side note ;If you do not already do so...buy sheets to pad your stash or just use as muslin. Try and get the flat sheets because they usually have far less wear. Also find out when your thrift does half off on linens.

~ Other stuff that makes me happy right now...
my garden is giving tons of zinnias,basil and okra

~Kg putting burger on the board
~and finally, practicing my new found hobby; baking I just got this book from the library and I have made four recipes so far from it. they were all terrific. We will be adding this book to our kitchen shelf soon I am sure.




This book is a great instruction guide. I actually had go to recipes for all the things I made from her book this week but each of the recipes had some sort of improvement.

No comments: